About

Friday, December 7, 2018

Buy a Bullet by Gregg Hurwitz


Buy a Bullet (Orphan X, #1.5)Buy a Bullet by Gregg Hurwitz


My rating: 5 of 5 stars

FIRST, FAIR WARNING: This is a long short story. Not even Novella.

I am so disappointed when I miss a book in a series I truly love, like I did with "Buy a Bullet".

The Orphan X series by Gregg Hurwitz was in instant favorite of mine. I actually spent a little time considering why, which is uncommon for me. I usually dissect a book in terms of an editor or writer and then grade the book like I would if it were a manuscript submitted for comment.

Some authors can instantly get beyond my inner editor and get to my pleasure centers and when I finish their work I'm usually just happy. I am happy with this short book!


This Nowhere Man (prequel) "Buy a Bullet" is five stars of enjoyment if you are the kind of person who has right, wrong, good, bad, justice and truth running through your blood since birth, reinforced by patriotic parents, brothers, wife, family-in-laws, and a series of mentors whose first names are often "sir", or other leaders who insist you do not to call them sir as they work for a living.

By all rights though "The Nowhere Man" is an evil murderer who kills without mercy.

Folks who have quit the study of law as they learned it has nothing to do with justice will cheer this murderer just the same.

I'll leave it at that and recommend you pick up Orphan X by Gregg Hurwitz and meet the character you are going to cheer for despite his proclivity to ignore the common procedures where justice is metered out upon criminals.

Oh, books that reach my "favorite" status usually have arch heroes who combat evil for the side of good and win. Others I like are stories where average people, through strife, become extraordinary people. I also can not prevent a tear from escaping when some underdog manages to overcome impossible odds, like when someone with an incurable disease has a miraculous recovery. Despite being tragically aware of reality and too often being crushed by it, I also want Cinderella to find prince charming and live happily ever.

Orphan X, the "Nowhere Man" character provokes those kinds of feelings when experts like Gregg Hurwitz scribes them into reality for anxious readers. Enjoy.

View all my Goodreads reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment