About

Sunday, December 16, 2018

The Viscount's Son

The Viscount's Son (The Viscount's Son, #1)

The Viscount's Son by Aderyn Wood


My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Odd format. The book is written as an online blog. I liked it, (three stars), and recommend it. This is a paranormal romance novel. I would classify it as a prequel to "The Viscount's Son Trilogy" but that would require another book that doesn’t exist to my knowledge so it IS the first book in the trilogy.

At first, my reaction was, “Oh hell, here we go with a new thing in actual book writing.” I’ve been pleasantly surprised.

A museum book conservator named Emma says she decided to translate the seemingly dark tale of a 16th century Latin diary, and transcribe it in this blog. One of her co-workers has already determined the book a fake, so Emma doesn't feel it is an ethical violation to share her translation online anonymously.


Being the consummate professional, despite confirmation the book is "fake" based primarily on the content of the book, Emma actually does her conservator job, protecting the book carefully, testing the pages and the ink to verify the approximate date of publication.

Each blog post she tells a bit about her own personal life and concludes with a portion of the translation of the fake book. As time passes both Emma's personal notes and her posts of the translation become more and more exciting until you realize they are going to climax together.

Being a romance novel, I thought that might be an appropriate pun to conclude the summary of the book.

Romance is not my favorite genre and my three stars rating is a reflection of my prejudice more than Aderyn's writing. Probably isn't fair but I'll try to make up for it.

I’ve already purchased the next two books in this trilogy. From a retired and broke polymath that’s a complement... not only from my review but also from my very thin wallet.

Most Indie writer’s should probably not write anything more challenging than a social media post, but Aderyn Wood has true writer's potential. 

Aderyn has done everything professionals tell aspiring writers to do. She studied Literature, History and Creative Writing at university, traveled the world, and taught English before becoming a full-time writer. Now she’s combined what she knows with what she loves and that can only result as the advice of so many professional writer’s tell young writer’s to do. In success.

Aderyn learned something while she studied. For the record, that’s another compliment. Her construction of the book was clever. Most indie writers could not pull off what Aderyn did well in this piece of work. It's an excellent PROFESSIONAL job. I would not be surprised if Bouroughs Publishing Group, Dreamspinner Press, Entangled Publishing, Forever Yours, Hallmark Publishing or even if Harlequin gave her a call.

I hope they do call. It would be a smart investment. Good luck Aderyn. Liked your work. Pray I can tell you later how I loved the rest of the trilogy.

I also post my Goodreads reviews on this blog and less frequently at Sagely Fox at Wordpress. Amazon rejects most my reviews but I'll edit the things they reject for and see if I can get this one through for Aderyn's sake on this one.

View all my Goodread reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment